In this week’s Comixology (at Amazon) sales, DC opens up with some grown up discounts: $1.99 collected edition and $0.99 single issues rule the day.
Where did the New Releases and Sale pages go?
(Disclosure: If you buy something we link to on our site, we may earn commission.)
In case you’re having troubles with the new UIX (a LOT of people have been):
DC’s Stealth Holiday Sale
The DC Recent Hits Sale runs through Monday, 12/12.
$1.99 recent collected editions? Yes, this got our attention and we’re popping in mid-week to point this out to you. We applaud DC for bringing the cheap this week.
First, let’s just run through a list of some of the $1.99 collections that made us raise an eyebrow. This is NOT a complete list of the selections and not all of the material is that recent… just most of it.
- Basketfull of Heads – Joe Hill / Leomac
- Batman (current) – scroll down to find Joker War for $1.99 and the rest of Tynion (and Williamson) for $2.99
- Batman by John Ridley
- Batman vs. Bigby – The Fables crossover by Bill Willingham & Brian Level
- Batman: The Adventures Continue: Season One and Season Two by Alan Burnett / Paul Dini / Ty Templeton
- Detective Comics (current) – scroll down and you’ll see most of the Tomasi run for $1.99 and more options at $2.99
- Green Lantern: Season Two – Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp
- Hellblazer: Rise and Fall – Tom Taylor / Darick Robertson
- John Constantine: Hellblazer – both volumes by Si Spurrier/Aaron Campbell/Matias Bergara
- Manhunter – Archie Goodwin / Walt Simonson
- New Teen Titans – The Marv Wolfman/George Perez run… first 11 collections for $1.99 each
- OMAC: One Man Army Corps – The original by Jack Kirby
- Robin – Josh Williamson / Gleb Melnikov
- Suicide Squad: Bad Blood – Tom Taylor/Bruno Redondo
- Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow – Tom King/Bilquis Evely
- Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Vol. 1 – The original Len Wein / Bernie Wrightson classic
- Swamp Thing (current) – Ram V/Mike Perkins
- The Human Target – Tom King/Greg Smallwood
There’s a lot of quality there. Quality on the cheap! Much of this we’ve spoken of before. We especially like those Hellblazer books (both versions listed) and The Human Target. This run of The Human Target is an out of continuity Black Label book where Chance is investigating his own poisoning and the suspects are the Bwa Ha Ha era Justice League International. It manages to be hardboiled AND Bwa Ha Ha on alternating pages, which is not easy to pull off!
And if you’ve never encountered Kirby’s OMAC, it’s something of a science fiction social satire. One of the more unusual things Kirby did.
At slightly higher price points, our eyebrow went up for:
- Far Sector – N.K. Jemisin /Jamal Campbell – $2.99
- Hard Time: The Complete Series – Steve Gerber/Mary Skrene/Brian Hurtt – $4.99
- Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen: Who Killed Jimmy Olsen? – $2.99
- Wonder Woman (by George Perez) – with art by Perez, Chris Marinnan and Jill Thompson – $2.99-$3.99 – and two more volumes here
That’s a nice set of books. The one we haven’t really mentioned before, largely because the price point is usually on the high side, is Hard Time. One of Gerber’s lessor known and later works, this is an odd one even by Gerber’s standards. A prank goes wrong. Some students die and a teenager is quickly made an example of and sentenced to 50 years hard time. Except the teen has super powers… or perhaps some sort of super entity living in him. Prison drama. Teen hero. Incarceration politics. Yes, it goes to some dark places.
And then there were the $0.99 single issues. Like… a lot of them. And a few larger format comics reduced to $1.99. Note: these are recent issues, so you may need to scroll down a bit to get to where the discounts start. Here are some highlights, since these are all the way at the bottom of the sale:
- Action Comics
- Aquaman: Andromeda
- Batman: Killing Time
- Batman: The Knight
- Batman/Superman: World’s Finest
- Black Adam
- Catwoman: Lonely City
- Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths
- Dark Knights of Steel
- DC Vs. Vampires
- DCeased: War of the Undead Gods
- Deathstroke, Inc.
- Detective Comics
- I am Batman
- One-Star Squadron
- Superman: Son of Kal-El
- Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen’s Boss Perry White
- The Joker
- The Nice House on the Lake
This is definitely a sale that’s worth taking some time to scroll through, as annoying at the current Amazon UIX may be. Plenty more on sale than we highlighted and these are the best prices we’ve seen from DC in some time. (And we’re curious if they can actually top this in a couple weeks.)
Still On Sale
- The Marvel Conan Sale runs through Thursday, 12/29
- The Marvel A.X.E. Judgment Day Sale runs through Thursday, 12/8
- The Marvel X-Men/Spider-Man: Crossovers and Events Sale runs through Monday, 1/2
- The Boom! James Tynion Sale! runs through Thursday, 12/15
- The Bone and RASL Sale runs through Monday, 12/19
- The Image Spawn Sale runs through Monday, 12/19
- The IDW G.I Joe & Transformers Graphic Novels Sale runs through Thursday, 12/22